Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, September 06, 2017
 
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

Steam sales are so frequent that I rarely buy games that aren't at least 50% off. Usually I just ignore the hype that surrounds new games, and just wait for the inevitable price decrease. More often than not the game a year later is not only half price, but also better than at release due to patches. Having said that, there are a few exceptions where I want to have a game on release day, at full price. The most recent example of that being XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for €39.99.

Now there are two main things to say about War of the Chosen. The first is that it is a very good expansion of the original XCOM 2 game, providing a lot of fresh fun with new maps, new aliens to fight, and new game mechanics. The second is that it is after all only an expansion, and to many people will not be worth 40 bucks. The expansion really improves the basic game with a wide range of options, but at two thirds of the price of a triple A game the thing appears rather expensive. Waiting for example for the Steam Christmas sale and hoping War of the Chosen will be cheaper then would be a completely rational decision.

One thing I liked about War of the Chosen was the advanced options menu, which now gives a wider range of choices than the original basic options menu. You can for example decide that you don't like to be rushed through the game, and double the timer of the avatar project and/or of individual missions. Of course that does make the game easier, but not everybody appreciates the sort of difficulty which arises only from being forced to rush through content.

From the new monsters I probably like the zombies the most. They appear in large groups, but have a special feature where you get an additional action if you kill one. That allows for very satisfying chain kills, but carries the risk of you missing your shot and being overrun by a horde of zombies. I am less a fan of the new "chosen" aliens, which can be even more annoying than the previously patched in "rulers".

The new factions which give you access to new soldier classes with a different system of talent tree are interesting. You probably appreciate them more if you always only used the 4 original classes. However I already used mods to have a wider choice of classes, and so that was less a drawback of the original game for me.

I started a new campaign because of War of the Chosen. However I can't say I'm very much hooked. I have a range of other projects in my life currently, and playing XCOM 2 isn't always on top of the list of my priorities. That is especially true on weekdays after work, as I find that the game requires some concentration. If I'm too tired I prefer more casual games, or even passive entertainment via Netflix. So I probably overpaid for the expansion, even if I don't really regret it.

Comments:
As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate turn based games more. I loved the first xcom but found the second too demanding.

Steamworld Heist and Darkest Dungeon both are fun, more forgiving turn based games more reasonably priced.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool